Dental veneers are thin films that adhere directly to the front of the tooth to improve its appearance. Veneers are an excellent solution for a number of minor aesthetic issues.
The purpose of veneers is to give you a beautiful smile by restoring teeth that are worn, stained, chipped, broken or slightly misaligned, or even to fill a gap between two teeth.
There are two main types of veneers: composite and porcelain.
Composite veneers are manufactured right on the premises by the dentist, and applied directly to the teeth. A single appointment is all that’s needed for this procedure, which will bring back your dazzling smile and hide any imperfections.
Porcelain veneers serve the same purpose as composite veneers. However, they are made in a laboratory. Porcelain veneers are a little like false nails in that they are made to measure and cemented onto the tooth surface. The full procedure requires two appointments: one to prepare the tooth and take the impression that will serve to make the veneer in the lab; and a second to cement the veneer onto the tooth.
Which type is right for you?
Both veneer types offer the following benefits:
- A more attractive smile while preserving healthy teeth.
- A more uniform smile in terms of tooth colour and shape
Benefits of composite veneers:
- Several veneers can be applied in a single visit.
- Less expensive than porcelain.
- Easy to repair if needed.
Benefits of porcelain veneers:
- Preserve the bright, slightly translucent appearance of natural teeth.
- Longer-lasting than composite.
- Do not change colour over time.
At Lapointe Dental Centres, we offer you quality cosmetic dental treatments that help you keep your natural teeth. Opting for veneers to improve the appearance of your teeth may just be the solution for you!