Everything you need to know about dental implants
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is a structure that replaces the natural root of a missing tooth. The implant is actually a small titanium screw installed in the bone directly beneath where the missing tooth used to be. A dental implant can be installed in the upper or lower jaw. The dental implant is installed by a dentist or a maxillofacial surgeon.
Why an implant?
To permanently replace one or more missing teeth. To date, an implant is the only treatment to prevent bone loss caused by tooth loss. Anyone who is missing one or more teeth, and who wants a complete, attractive set of teeth may need an implant. However, you must have sufficient bone mass.
Is this the best solution for me?
The absence of one or more teeth is a problem that should be seriously considered. Since the root of the natural tooth is no longer present, the jaw can shrink in size, causing the face to age prematurely. A dental implant is a permanent, stable and lasting solution.
Is age a factor?
Not at all! The right to show off a dazzling smile and be able to have strong teeth is universal and unrelated to age.
However, your dentist has to make sure that you are healthy enough to undergo this procedure. Certain diseases can be contraindications to the installation of dental implants.
The benefits of dental implants
- Permanent replacement of the root and crown of a missing tooth ;
- Esthetics and chewing function equivalent to the natural tooth ;
- Permanent solution: dental implants are stable and comfortable ;
- Preservation of natural teeth: unlike a bridge, which requires altering the adjacent teeth, implants have no negative effects on the adjacent teeth ;
To what extent will the treatment change my life?
- Improved chewing, making digestion easier ;
- Greater comfort and an end to gum pain and irritation.
Don’t hesitate to consult a Lapointe Dental Centre professional to discuss all of the options available to you.