Dry mouth, also known as xerostomia, is the result of insufficient saliva. If you constantly, or almost always, have a dry mouth, it can be uncomfortable and can affect the oral cavity.
Someone with dry mouth may have the following symptoms:
- A sticky, dry feeling in the mouth
- Difficulty swallowing, speaking and chewing
- A burning sensation on the tongue
- Increased thirst
- Dry lips
- Difficulty tasting
- More frequent cavities
To treat dry mouth, it’s important to properly identify the causes, of which there are many. Here are the main causes:
- Side effects of certain medications
- Certain diseases, for example diabetes, Hodgkin’s and Parkinson’s disease, HIV/AIDS and cystic fibrosis
- Chemotherapy and radiation therapy
- Old age
If the cause of dry mouth cannot be eliminated, or while waiting for it to be eliminated, your dentist can prescribe moistening agents such as a saliva substitute. There are a variety of solutions to relieve dry mouth.
Don’t hesitate to speak with your Lapointe Dental Centre professional to find a solution to your dry mouth problem.