Annual Examination and Cleaning
It’s very important to see your dentist at least once a year, even if you don’t have a toothache or you think your oral health is just fine.
The length of time between examination and cleaning appointments can vary depending on a person’s susceptibility to cavities or tartar build-up, age, the presence of periodontal disease (periodontitis) or other risk factors like smoking.
During this appointment, the dentist will examine your mouth and the dental hygienist will remove any tartar build-up and polish your teeth.
The tartar removal and teeth polishing is critical to maintaining good oral health. Dental plaque causes oral diseases such as cavities, gingivitis and periodontitis. More importantly, it can calcify and form what’s called tartar. Tartar, like plaque, is an irritant for gums and also causes gingivitis and periodontitis.
Each visit includes:
- An assessment of your overall health
- X-rays as needed (based on the dentist’s recommendations)
- Detection of oral disease (cavities, gingivitis, periodontitis, etc.)
- Tartar removal and teeth polishing
- Personalized oral hygiene recommendations
- Evaluation of oral growth in young patients
- Fluoride application in young patients